No more premium memberships

Home Forums Admin Announcements No more premium memberships

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  LadyAngel 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

LadyAngel
    Keymaster

The membership plugin we have been using for this website was partly responsible for the slow server responses. Therefore, on a trial basis, we have removed the premium membership option for now. Our website will continue to be paid for by advertising and member contributions.

All constructive comments and feedback welcome.

:)

Run your own Sims website, 100% free! Click here

chilili
    Participant
    This reply has been set as private.

LadyAngel
    Keymaster

Thank you for your kind words, Chi.

This website is run on software called ‘WordPress‘. It’s the most popular website software in the world, and used on thousands and thousands of websites. However, it’s quite basic, and to add features and functionality it needs add-ons, called plugins.

I need a lot of plugins to get this site to do what I want, and for members to be able to upload content to the site. However, the more plugins you have, especially if they are badly written, the slower your site can become.

That’s what happened in this instance – the site was taking around 10 seconds to load each page…not good! As soon as I made a few tweaks and disabled the membership plugin, the site began loading substantially faster. Members can still join and do everything, but now all members see advertisements.

This is most probably not a permanent solution, as there are other membership plugins I can try, but at the moment it’s not a priority.

Most plugins are free, but some have to be paid for, depending on what you want your WordPress website to do.

However, I’m not in this to make money; I set up Sim Fans UK because I love the Sims and wanted a way to interact with other fans, and to be able to upload the many items I’ve created!  :smile:

This website is still very much a work in progress, and I’ll be trying various things over the next few months, but as it stands at the moment, it’s very usable, and I hope a lot faster for visitors.

:)

Run your own Sims website, 100% free! Click here

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed